Online Identity Theft Protection



             


Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How to Avoid Becoming a Victim of Identity Theft

Identity theft is the fastest growing felony in North America. There are ways to reduce or minimize the risk of becoming a victim of identity theft and fraud. I have taken the following steps to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft, and so can you:

Taking care of my personal data - I never give out personal information to people on the phone and to people who do not need to know. A person on the phone saying he is calling from my bank does not need to know my personal information because it is already on the file with my bank. I never print my Social Security or my telephone number on my personal bank checks. I would unnecessarily be passing out information to people who need not know.

I have had Scamsters call with offers to receive a prize or some valuable item, and asking for my personal data, such as Social Security number, credit card number or its expiration date, or my mother's maiden name.

While on the move - If I am away for some time, I have my mail held up at the post office, or have someone I trust empty my mailbox daily. In case I need to communicate some personal information to someone, I trust. I make sure I am in a booth where no one can listen to what I am conveying.

Checking financial information regularly - I regularly receive my monthly bank and credit card statements. If this becomes irregular, I check with the concerned institution immediately to ask what is going on. Chances are that my bills are going to an address I have not authorized. Someone may have assumed my identity and be improperly using my accounts. If so, I would immediately start proceedings to cope with this identity theft to put a stop to it.

In the next article of the series, let me tell you how I would cope with identity theft.

Jon publishes articles and ebooks to help individuals with their personal finance needs and goals

Labels: , , ,