Online Identity Theft Protection



             


Monday, March 10, 2008

Understanding and Avoiding Identity Theft

Identity theft - the assumption of our identity - is one of the least understood and most frightening problems. It is a complicated issue and let me tell you how it works: A scamster manages to get my name, address, social security number and credit card or other information. Assuming my identity, the person runs up huge bills and skips without paying, leaving me with a ruined credit and creditors baying for my blood.

Our wallet contains so much information about ourselves, which we normally do not realize. A thief can make use of the information and pretend to be us.

Reducing Exposure to Identity Theft

* We cannot prevent identity theft with a 100% certainty, but we can certainly try to reduce our exposure to it.

* We must carry only the information we need to carry out our daily dealings. We should not carry all our credit cards in our wallet. We must avoid putting our Social Security number on our checks.

* Stolen mail is one of the easiest ways to get personal statistics. Do not leave your mailbox full. If out of town, arrange to have your mail picked up by friends or family members, or arrange to leave it at the post office.

* Do we get alert if our credit card bill is late? I always call up my credit card issuer to ask why. Identity thieves can arrange to change my billing address and run up huge bills before I can realize.

* Employers, merchants, proprietors, etc may have legitimate reasons to ask for my personal information. I always find out why they want the information and provide only that which is required for that particular transaction.

* One of the oldest frauds is being asked to update out of date credit card information, over phone. I never give out any information to strangers. You too should not.

In the next article, let us learn how to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft.

Jon Sterling tries to help you overcome Personal Financial problems through informative articles to help you reach your personal financial goals.

Jon publishes articles and ebooks to help individuals with their personal finance needs and goals.

Labels: , , , ,